Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Human Number Line

Today, we started talking about the number line. I asked, "What is a number line?" We talked about it and I was so excited by the responses. Then, I asked, "Why is the number line important?" The best response was "So our numbers go in order and when we get to 100 we know we didn't miss any numbers and that we got them all right." Pretty good, huh?

My favorite part of the lesson came at the end. I handed out numbers to my students and we created a "HUMAN NUMBER LINE". Here is a picture of the end of the number line.



It was so revealing on which students truly understood the idea of number line, who knew their teens (because all my fellow primary teachers know how hard it is for kids between thirteen and thirty, fourteen and forty, etc.), and how well they work together. We did it a few times today and tomorrow we are going to time ourselves to see if we can beat our time. Something as simple as getting out of our seats and making a human number line was so fun. The kids were asking if they could do it again at the end of the day. It is right up there with a snowball fight. Ok, I lied, the snowball fight is loved much more but this was a close second. *I will post about a snowball fight soon - it is must-do activity!

I hope everyone is having a great week. One more day or how I like to call it "Happy Friday Eve"!

No comments:

Post a Comment