Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Whew - a litte patience is always a bonus...

Last year we used the book, "Teach Like a Champion" as a school-wide book study for the teachers. We implemented so many parts of it. We use STARS (Sit up tall, Track your speaker, be ready to Ask and Answer questions, Respect speakers, Smile) school-wide to get attention and explain it to the kids right away. Last year, my class had it down the first week. This year, what am I doing wrong? My kiddos just don't seem to be grasping it. Ok, let me clarify, some... a few... the talkative ones... ok a few boys seem to act like they don't even hear it. We have worked on it as a class. We have worked on it as a small group. I have praised them when they do it correctly. I point out when they could do better. It seems like no matter how I present it, this small handful does not seem to get it. AUGH! I feel so helpless. I love my kids but I want to be able to present them to the school as following rules. The specials teachers (Ok, for those that do not get specials, please do not be mad but we get specials for one hour every day!) even use STARS. What am I going to do?

I have the answer... scream into a pillow...give up...let someone else deal with it... PATIENCE! I joke with my own kiddos that my favorite word is patience. Deep breaths and consistency is going to be the hardest part but it has to help right? Please shake your head that this is going to work. It has to work. STARS! Did you do it? Try it? Think about it? Ok, tomorrow is a new day and I know they can do it. I think I am going to set up an individual plan for these boys. Something tangible they can hold. Yes, that is it! Maybe I will create something that is for individual behavior and/or working.  They are going to get it. I know it. Patience is the key. They CAN do it! I would love some teaching positive vibes sent my way. Any help any way I can get it.

Have a great night. Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment