Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A New Year... New in SO Many Ways

So, there is a million different places I could start this post. Personal...classroom...where to start? Ok, let's start with the school news:

Students started on Monday. This week is the first week and it is a FIVE DAY week for our little firsties. FIVE FULL DAYS. Ok, those that aren't teachers, I know you do that all the time. But, when you start a school year with six and seven-year-olds that are used to summer freedom and you confine them to a classroom for five days in a row plus you add in rules, waking up early, no non-stop snacks, yadda yadda yadda; it makes for a very long week. The best part, however, is that my class is so stinking cute. They smile! They giggle! They love to color! They even think I am funny! Whew - woohoo for me. I just love these little sweeties.

For all my readers that know me, you know I became a teacher because of my mom. She truly was the most amazing teacher. She retired seven years ago and continued to sub, volunteer in the classroom, and make games and activities for my students. She loved her freedom but always told me that she missed the classroom. She was known in our hometown as one of those AMAZING teachers that every student wanted and every parent prayed for. She loved every student that walked into her room and her pure joy for teaching and her optimistic spirit was inspiring. My goal in life was just to be half of the teacher she was because that would mean I was successful as a teacher. Well, my mom, my best friend, my mentor, passed away on August 13th of this year. Yes, two and a half weeks ago. Some of my final conversations included her mentioning school this year. My heart is truly broken and I am trying to be as good as her in the classroom because I now know she can see me teach all the time. Did you know how hard it is to find books for a classroom that won't make you sad about moms? Here's a hint: Say no to "Llama Llama Red Pajama" because the message of a mom never being far away (even if you can't see her) is so sweet but too hard.

On the second day of school my little first graders were being pulled out of the classroom to do some testing. Every time one of my kiddos left I said, "Don't forget to smile" because it made them feel a little better about leaving.  Later in the day we read "No, David!" Then, we were going over rules for the classroom and school. When I asked my class for rules for our classroom the first rule they came up with was "Don't forget to smile"! That is a rule my mom would have definitely had in her room. I couldn't help but smile. I am so thankful for my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment